Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cringeworthy memory

A long time ago (long before they divorced, she left the country, and she and I stopped talking to him altogether), I was very close friends with a married couple.

For my birthday, they bought tickets and planned to take me to a show at Red Rocks.

In an awful coincidence, their beloved cocker spaniel died on the day of the show. I told them we could skip the show and that I would completely understand.

Nope, they said. We were still going. But we needed some liquor to get through the night.

So the husband and I traipsed to the corner liquor store. As we wandered the aisles, I absentmindedly hummed along to the piped-in music, which just happened to be Mr. Bojangles.

(I'm sure, at this point, some of you can see where this is going.)

At what point in the song did I suddenly begin to sing along without even thinking about it?

You guessed it: The dog up and died, he up and died. After 20 years he still grieves.

Oh, Lordy! I felt like dirt when I saw the look on his face.

It's still an awful memory, but it's kinda funny too. I wince and chuckle (wuckle?) at it now. Totally 100% the kind of stupid thing I do on any given day.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment