Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Weird things that bother me (and probably only me), Vol. 1

Let me start by saying that I'm not a prude. I'm really not. All the same, this bugs me:

Very young girls who shop at Victoria's Secret.

I work in a shopping area with a VS, and I see this a lot.

And a lot of people would argue (correctly) that VS carries a number of cotton-panty/everyday underwear options AND pajamas, for pete's sake.

And they do.

But they don't put back-arching/lip-pouting models in cotton panties in the commercials. Or on the runway. And those aren't what you see when you walk in the door. A ten-year-old has to walk past the tear-it-of-with-his-teeth stuff to get to the everyday stuff.

Witness The Date Collection: https://www.victoriassecret.com/pink/the-date-racerback. PINK is the part of the brand they gear toward younger women. Adorable stuff (I'd wear that racerback in a second), but the name is creepy. The connotation is Look girls! This is what you wear on a date!

We live in a hyper-sexualized society where girls learn at a young age that their worth is tied up in their appearance.

I just don't see why we can't let them be semi-innocent for as long as possible.

It just bugs me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment